If you have curly hair, you most likely know by now that it requires special care and nurturing. And to take good hair care, you need to use the appropriate type of shampoo that will clean it and offer it all the nutrients needed to look healthy.
When it comes to taking care of those curls, you need to invest in a high-quality shampoo that is suitable for your type of hair. And while the market offers a wide variety of such products, you need to know what to look for in such a shampoo if you want to obtain the best results.
This guide will save you plenty of time and will ease your job significantly when you are shopping for the best shampoo for curly hair. So, here are the best products that you can find on the market and what to pay attention to when you take care of your curly hair!
- Top 14 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair in 2019
- 1. Moisturizing Shampoo for Curly Hair Frizz Control by Maple Holistics
- 2. L’Oréal Paris EverCurl Cleansing Balm
- 3. Bumble and Bumble Bb Curl Care Sulfate-Free Shampoo for Unisex
- 4. Joico Curl Cleansing Shampoo
- 5. Aveda Be Curly Co-Wash Shampoo
- 6. Kinky Curly Come Clean Natural Moisturizing Shampoo Sulfate Free
- 7. Kerastase Bain Oleo Curl Shampoo
- 8. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Shampoo
- 9. CURLY HAIR SOLUTIONS Curl Keeper Original
- 10. Pureology Curl Complete Shampoo
- 11. SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
- 12. Davines Love Curl Shampoo
- 13. TRESemmé Botanique Shampoo, Curl Hydration
- 14. Catwalk Curls Rock Curly Hair Shampoo
- What is Curly hair?
- Tips to Care for Naturally Curly Hair
- How to Choose the Best Shampoo for Curly Hair
- Finishing Line
Top 14 Best Shampoos for Curly Hair in 2019
Everyone wants those perfect curls as seen on super-models. We asked hairdressers and beauty experts to make a selection of the best shampoos for curly hair which are available on the market. With this guide, you can start getting some glamour with those perfect curls yourself. Continue reading if you want to see how our beauty experts reviewed these shampoos for people with curly hair.
1. Moisturizing Shampoo for Curly Hair Frizz Control by Maple Holistics
This is one of the best shampoos to use if you have curly hair, but it will work great for dry and damaged hair. Maple Holistics offers a shampoo with a sulfate free formula which makes it healthy for all types of hair and extremely beneficial. This shampoo will moisturize your curls and hydrate your hair every time you use it.
By using this shampoo, you can forget about frizz curls and hair that lacks shine. After the first time you use it, you will notice your hair being softer and looking a lot healthier and you will want to keep using this. As this product is strongly based on a natural formula, it is rich in all the vitamins your hair needs.
It is also hypoallergenic so you will not be taking any risks while using it. And to make this product even more reliable, the company offers an unquestionable refund in case you are not completely satisfied with it. Among its most important ingredients, you will find jojoba oil as well as keratin and almond and lavender oils empowered with the provitamin B5.
- Natural shampoo made of essential oils
- It is a hypoallergenic product
- It shows results from the first time you use it
- Suitable for curly hair but also dry and damaged hair
- Great moisturizer based on a sulfate free formula
- It might not have a pleasant smell
- It might need not to create enough foam
2. L’Oréal Paris EverCurl Cleansing Balm
We all know that L’Oreal is one of the best brands on the market in terms of cosmetics and hair care products, but this shampoo is beyond any expectations. It can make your curly hair look instantly better thanks to its incredible formula and high quality.
This is the perfect shampoo to hydrate and clean your curly hair every time you wash it. It is perfect for adding the right moisturizing to your curls, and it is going to work great for all types of hair. This L’Oreal shampoo is paraben free, sulfate free; it has no silicone and no artificial fragrances which makes it the best product for sensitive hair that needs nourishment.
As this product is created especially for curly hair, it contains everything that your beautiful curls need to look and feel as healthy as possible. Your hair will be soft and smooth for a long time, and you will not want to replace this shampoo any time soon.
- This is a paraben and silicone free shampoo
- Sulfate free formula
- Created especially for curly hair
- Shows results after one use
- Hydrates your hair each time you use it
- It might leave the hair too oily
- It might have a strong scent
3. Bumble and Bumble Bb Curl Care Sulfate-Free Shampoo for Unisex
This BB shampoo for curly hair is the best to use for both men and women, and the fact that is unisex can only be an advantage. It is a great moisturizer, and you will enjoy better-hydrated hair every time you wash it with this shampoo. This is also the type of shampoo that will repair dry and severely damaged hair fast and in the most pleasant way.
Forget about frizzed hair from the first time you use this BB shampoo and start enjoying a beautiful, soft hair at all times. You will notice that your hair receives all the nutrients it needs from this shampoo and that you will gain your self-confidence as well.
Your curls will develop personality and natural beauty that everyone will notice and admire. But your hair will not only feel cleaner and healthier; it will also feel fresher and more full of life than ever before. So, you have all the right reasons to give this product a try!
- It is a good moisturizer for your hair
- Helps you define those curls
- Used to repair damaged hair
- Hydrates your hair every time you use it
- Created especially for curly hair
- It might not make a lot of foam
4. Joico Curl Cleansing Shampoo
When it comes to best shampoos for curly hair, we can’t forget about this Joico Curl Cleansing shampoo that can make a difference for your curls. As the label clearly states from the moment you lay your eyes on it, this shampoo is based on a sulfate free formula.
If you use it regularly, this favorite shampoo will make a great difference for your scalp and hair. And it is created especially to accommodate the needs of curly hair, so if you want to define those curls, this is the type of product you should use. This is a shampoo that is not tested on animals so if you prefer to use cruelty-free product this is just the right one for you.
It comes at a convenient price which means you can keep using it and not worry about breaking the budget as the best results you will achieve if you use this shampoo constantly.
- It is based on a sulfate free formula
- Cruelty-free product
- It is created to take care of curly hair
- Perfect for any curly hair
- It nourishes both the scalp and the hair
- It might not have a pleasant scent for some users
5. Aveda Be Curly Co-Wash Shampoo
Aveda is one of the best shampoos for curly hair, and it can bring you astonishing results. If you have that type of curly hair that is also sensitive and needs hydrating as well as intense moisturizing, you should give this Aveda shampoo a try.
It will deeply clean and nourish your scalp while your hair receives the type of pampering treatment it needs as well. And you will be able to enjoy the moisturizing effects of this shampoo for three days after you use it. You can forget about frizzed hair as well because Aveda shampoo eliminates that.
You will fall in love once again with your soft curls, and you will also find that your hair is easier to style as well. This shampoo is used by professional hairstylists as well, thanks to the intense benefits that it brings to all types of curly hair. And even if this is not the most budget friendly shampoo on the market, the price is well worth it for the difference it can do for your hair and overall image.
- It is a professional shampoo for curly hair
- Made to moisturize the scalp as well as hydrate the hair
- Leaves the curls easier to style
- The effects last for up to 3 days after using this shampoo
- It is created of high-quality ingredients
- It might not have a pleasant fragrance
- Not a budget-friendly product
6. Kinky Curly Come Clean Natural Moisturizing Shampoo Sulfate Free
If your hair is more on the kinky curly hair type, you surely need a good shampoo to take care of it. But that might be hard to find until you try out this Come Clean product that can save your curls every time you use it. This shampoo is leaving your hair shiny and soft, and your curls will seem so well defined that you will love their kinky aspect.
The secret ingredient of this product is the concentrated Mandarin Orange extract that will nourish your hair and scalp at the same time, and the results will last for several days after you wash it. The Sea Kelp also supports your scalp to build its natural level of moisturizer and remain hydrated for a long time.
You can use this shampoo for dry scalp without any concerns as it is created to accommodate all types of curly hair without any side effects. You can get this product in packs of 2 or even 3 bottles if you decide that it is the right one for you.
- Very efficient in moisturizing both your scalp and hair
- It has Mandarin Orange extract and Sea Kelp
- Created for kinky curly hair
- It is sulfate free
- The effects last for several days after you use it
- Some users claim that this shampoo could use even more moisturizer
- It might not make a lot of foam.
7. Kerastase Bain Oleo Curl Shampoo
Kerastase Bain Oleo Curl Shampoo can impress you as soon as you start using it. This product is one of the professional shampoos used by the experts in terms of hairstyling which makes it even more reliable.
You should try it especially if you have a sensitive curly hair, but it works great when it comes to taking care of any hair type so you really can’t go wrong with this shampoo. It is the type of shampoo to nourish your hair and scalp at the same time, and you don’t have to use it every day to see results because once you wash your hair with it, it will stay clean longer.
This is one of the highest quality shampoos for curly hair that you can find on the market, and it is a long term treatment that will help you love your curls every time you look in the mirror. Besides this shampoo controls frizz that is a great advantage for you.
- High-quality product
- Long lasting results
- Used by professionals in the industry as well
- It hydrates both the hair and the scalp
- Creates curly effect
- It might leave your hair tangled which is why a conditioner is recommended.
- It might not smell as pleasant for all users
8. Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Shampoo
If you are more interested in natural shampoos to take care of your curls, this product from Herbal Essences is just what you have been looking for. It is created without any paraben or gluten and unnecessary oils so you can use it without taking any risks.
This shampoo has a balanced PH, and it is perfect even for colored hair as it will not wash out or damage the color at all. Its berry essence gives it a very natural fragrance and leaves your hair smelling nice and fresh for many days after you wash it.
Enjoy frizz free curls from the first time you use this shampoo and never look back as this might easily become your hair’s best friend. And to make this product even better, its formula is made with humidity control which means weather changes will not damage your curls so you can enjoy just the style that you want in any conditions and with no hassle at all!
- Natural formula that nourishes both the hair and the scalp
- Berry essence for a pleasant smell
- Paraben free product
- Made for all types of curly hair
- Shows results in every time you use it
- It might not make a lot of foam
- It might leave the hair tangled
9. CURLY HAIR SOLUTIONS Curl Keeper Original
Curly Hair Solutions might have the answer to your curls’ problems in this Curl Keeper Original shampoo. The main quality of this product is the extreme control it has over frizzed hair so you can forget about this annoying aspect once you start using it.
This is the type of shampoo that will offer you incredible results regardless of the weather conditions that you find yourself at. You will enjoy the fact that this is a silicone free product and it leaves no unnecessary build up on your hair. Plus, you can style your curls so much easier once you start using it!
And if you want a shampoo that is not tested on animals, this one is cruelty-free, and it is made of ingredients that will not put your hair’s health at any risk. It comes at a good price and a very high quality so definitely one of the best shampoos to go for if you have curly hair!
- It is a silicone-free shampoo
- Eliminates frizzed aspect
- Contains biodegradable ingredients
- Not tested on animals
- Makes your curls easier to style
- It might leave your hair tangled
- Might not work if you have an extremely kinky hair type
10. Pureology Curl Complete Shampoo
Pureology Curl Complete Shampoo will simply amaze you in terms of what it can do for your curls. It is created with a sulfate-free formula, and it works great for all types of curls and waves. This shampoo will offer the best protection for your color in case you are coloring your hair.
At the same time, this will not dry your hair of the natural oils that it needs to stay healthy and well nourished. This shampoo will not strip your hair, and it will not damage it in any way regardless of the type of hair that you have or the intensity of its color.
You will love to keep using it regularly and you will fall even more in love with it as you see the great results. You will have an awesome curl pattern while your hair will look fresh and healthy for a longer time, and you will not have to struggle when it comes to styling them either.
- Created based on a sulfate free formula
- Protects the color of your hair
- Eliminates frizz completely
- Leaves your hair easier to style
- Has a great fragrance and texture
- It might not hydrate your hair enough
- It might leave your hair tangled
11. SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo
This shampoo is based on so many healthy ingredients that you will simply fall in love with once you see the effects it has on your curly hair. As the name states, this product contains Shea butter which is known to be beneficial for curly hair and dry hair.
The Hibiscus extract is great for nourishing your hair and hydrating your scalp as well, and in combination with the Shea butter, it can deeply repair your curls. This product is rich in Collagen, vitamin C as well as many other important nutrients for your hair so you will not need to worry about any side effects as you are using it to clean your hair.
All the natural ingredients that this shampoo contains are put together to heal and help your hair regain its beauty from the first time you wash it! And it will not have any negative effect on colored hair so you will not have to worry about this either!
- Made to accommodate the needs of all types of curly hair
- I will not damage the color of your hair
- Contains Shea butter
- The Hibiscus in it is great for nourishing your scalp
- Long term results
- Contains coconut oil as a natural conditions
- It might not create a lot of lather
- Some users might not like its fragrance
12. Davines Love Curl Shampoo
Another great shampoo that you can use to make sure that your curls are taken care of is this Davines product created especially for all types of curly and wavy hair. This shampoo is recommended for daily use, and it is both a shampoo and a conditioner which will save you a lot of money on the long run considering that you will only be investing in one product rather than two.
It will smooth your curls and leave them shiny and healthy for a longer time which is why you should keep using it to enjoy its complete benefits. But your curls will not only be healthier but also more defined and full of volume. Styling your hair is a pleasure after you washed it with this product.
To make sure that this shampoo will also nourish and moisturize your scalp, massage it gently on your head every time you wash your hair and allow it up to 3 minutes to take action and be absorbed in your hair and scalp before rinsing it off.
- It is intended to be used for all types of hair
- Offers appropriate nourishment to both your scalp and your hair
- Long lasting results
- It hydrates your hair profoundly
- It leaves your hair feeling healthy
- It is both a shampoo and a conditioner
- It might not create enough foam
- Some users claim it leaves the hair tangled
13. TRESemmé Botanique Shampoo, Curl Hydration
And last but not least shampoo that you can use to treat your curly hair and maintain it beautifully is this TRESemmé Botanique Shampoo. This product is created with the main purpose to clean and hydrate your hair, and it does this to a professional standard.
It contains shea butter and hibiscus which is the perfect combination for hydrating curly hair. If you have color treated hair, this will not damage your color at all which is just another advantage that comes with it. Natural oils are essential for the health of your hair, and this product has plenty of them!
This product contains no parabens, and it will not expose your hair to any risks. If you like to have fresh looking curls, this cleansing conditioner will do miracles for your hair! It contains no harming chemicals, and it can be used by both men and women, even if women will most likely get more benefits from this product.
- It is a paraben-free shampoo
- It doesn’t contain any artificial dyes
- Perfect for colored hair
- Hydrates your hair and scalp
- Leaves your curls easy to style
- It might not have the best smell for some users
- It might not be the best choice for extreme kinky hair
14. Catwalk Curls Rock Curly Hair Shampoo
If you are looking for that perfect solution to get those great looking fine curls, Catwalk Curls Rock is a great pick for normal to dry hair. Compared to other shampoos it leaves your hair shiny and soft.
This curly hair shampoo gently cleanses your hair every time you use it. People just love using this product even though it is not as affordable as most regular shampoos.
- Works great for normal to dry hair
- Contains wheat amino acids which are good for your hair
- Results in very soft, voluminous curls
- Cleanses while detangling and defrizzing your hair
- Many customers see this as the “best-pick for curly hair”
- It doesn’t work great with oily hair
- It is pretty expensive compared to the cheap brands
What is Curly hair?
Before you invest in the right hair care products you need, starting with the shampoo you use and ending with the styling products, you should understand your hair properly.
There are many hair types, and from all of them, the curly hair might be the one that needs the most care and attention. Your hair could be wavy, curly or kinky hair and you might be born with it, or you might put significant efforts to maintain it like this artificially because you prefer this type of look.
If your hair is wavy, it is a type of hair between the straight type and the curly type. This is the easiest to maintain the type of curly hair from them all. However, you might notice that even if it is shiny, your hair might be prone to a lot of frizz that you have to consider when you are styling it.
As for curly hair, this is the classic type of curls you see most often. It has a defined S shape, and it lacks shine which is the main challenge you have to take care of. Humidity might make your curly hair frizz, but that depends a lot of the products you use for it, and it can usually be kept under control. This is also the most common type of curls that you will find in people.
The most extreme case of curly hair, however, is the kinky hair type. This hair that looks like wire it is very vulnerable and easy to damage so you shouldn’t let its strong image fool you.
Most of the times, kinky hair is a natural feature, and it needs special attention to style it properly and healthily meet its needs. It is also a very dry type of hair which is why moisturizing is a must for it, and you shouldn’t neglect this part.
Tips to Care for Naturally Curly Hair
If your hair is naturally curly, this can be both a blessing and stress at the same time. But if you take care of it properly, you might be amazed at how beautiful your curls can look with little effort. All you need is the right routine when it comes to hair care! Here are some essential tips for incorporating into your routine to make sure that you will have healthy and beautiful hair for a long time!
- Use the right shampoo and styling products. It is very important to use shampoo created for curly hair. This will offer your curls the right type of vitamins and nutrients, and it will leave your hair a lot easier to style. And also apply this rule when you are choosing your styling products as you can find on the market many conditioners and masks as well as mousses created for curly hair.
- Don’t wash your hair daily. Washing your hair more often than it needs to be washed will only add stress to it and the skin of your scalp as well. If you wash it daily you will disrupt the natural oil balance that your hair needs to be healthy and shiny, and that can damage your hair a lot on the long run and make it drier.
- Don’t use very hot water on your hair. Hot water is not the best choice for straight hair either, but when it comes to long hair, it is a really bad idea. No matter how much you like to steam yourself in the tub, make sure that, your hair is not exposed to water that is too hot for it. Instead, after you wash your hair with warm water make sure you allow some cold water to pour over it for a few seconds before ending the shower. This will help your cuticles close and keep the moisture in, which in time will give you a better looking and healthier curly hair.
- Use a lot of conditioners. Using conditioner is important for all types of hair, but it is even more important for dry curly hair that needs extra moisturizing every time you wash it. It is also essential to choose the right type of conditioner so make sure that you go for one that will hydrate and moisturize your hair deeply, especially if you have dry and damaged curly hair. And never skip this step after you wash it because it will take away from the beautiful shine that you want your curls to have.
- Comb your hair the right way. When you have curly hair, combing it needs a little more care and attention than if you would have straight hair. Using combs that are snag free might be a great idea for your hair so if you can invest in one of those you definitely should. Try your best not to pull your hair because you might break it easily. And you should consider using a leave-in conditioner intended for tangled hair right before you are planning to comb it because this will make a big difference.
How to Choose the Best Shampoo for Curly Hair
Choosing the best type of shampoo for curly hair might not be an easy job if you are a beginner at this, but you will get better fast if you respect the following tips when you are shopping for a shampoo that will accommodate your curls.
- Pay attention to the ingredients in your shampoo. It is best to choose a shampoo that is based on essential oils such as argan oil or jojoba oil and avoid those that contain parabens or sulfates as well as silicone. Natural ingredients, as well as vitamins, will nourish your curly hair and offer it the right type of moisturizer which is essential for the health of your curls and scalp at the same time.
- Pick one created exactly for your type of hair. Since you have curly hair, you should go for a curly hair type of shampoo. If you can decide what type of curly hair you have such as wavy or kinky, it is even better to choose a shampoo created specifically for that. Choosing the right shampoo for your hair texture will help you provide the best nutrients and hydrating level that your curls need.
- Use the same brand for both your shampoo and conditioner. Since you have curly hair, you might know that using a conditioner is a must for the health of your hair. But for maximum results, you should always use the same brand of conditioner as your shampoo. This is because you want to empower the properties of your shampoo and its twin conditioner product will do that at the highest standards.
- Take the price into account. Your shampoo, as well as other hair products, will be a constant investment for your beauty and hair routine. And it is not recommended to go from one brand to another, especially after you discovered the best one for your curly hair. So, once you found a shampoo that works for you, you should keep it. This is why it is important to feel comfortable with the price because this will be part of your monthly expenses and you need to make sure that you afford it.
- Choose a shampoo for colored hair if you are dying your hair a lot. Using a shampoo that is meant to protect your hair color is one of the best decisions you can make. These shampoos will not damage your hair, and they will still offer your curls the nutrients they need. Not to mention that you will be able to maintain your color looking fresh for a longer time which means that you will not damage your hair by coloring it more often than you have to.
As you can see, using the right type of shampoo to take care of your curls is essential for the way your hair looks. And it is not hard to choose such a product once you know just what to look for.
This guide should help you make the right decision for your hair’s necessities and find the best shampoo for you faster and at a better price. When it comes to the best type of shampoo that you can use if you have curly hair, it is hard to beat the L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Cleansing Balm.
This shampoo has everything your hair needs to thrive when it comes to health and beauty as well as it will enhance its natural shine. It will not strip or dry your hair, and you will not be left with any build up once you are done using it. But you can’t fail even if you choose another shampoo from this guide because they are all of the great quality and they will offer you the best results!