Oily hair both looks and feels bad. Unfortunately, it isn’t very easy to predict and prevent your hair from getting greasy. But thankfully, there are hair care products out there that could help you.
One of those products is the oily hair shampoo, and that’s what we will be talking about today. If you happen to be looking for the best shampoo for oily hair, then you are in the right place!
First of all, we are going to examine why hair gets oily and how you could get rid of it. But most importantly, we are going to review 9 great shampoos for oily hair, one of which may even be the right choice for you!
- Why is hair oily
- Hair type
- Skin conditions
- Playing with the hair
- Using too much hair products
- Using the wrong hair products
- Too much heat styling
- Shampooing too often
- Washing hair with hot water
- How to get rid of oily hair
- How to apply
- The best shampoos for oily hair tested
- Neutrogena Clean Volume Body Enhancing Shampoo 10.1oz
- Tru Moroccan Shampoo for Oily Hair 8oz
- Drybar On the Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo 8.5oz
- Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo 8.5oz
- Fekkai Apple Cider Shampoo 8oz
- Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo 16oz
- Briogeo’s Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado 16oz
- Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo 8.4oz
- Kiehl Color-Treated Hair Preserving Shampoo 8.4oz
Why is hair oily
Normally, everybody’s scalp produces oil. In fact, oil is a necessary compound to keep our skin and hair healthy. The oil – sebum, a natural lubricant produced in the sebaceous glands – waterproofs the skin and hair and also protects them from drying. Sometimes, that oil production may get excessive, causing the hair and skin to look and feel greasy.
It is quite difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of the excessive oil production. Only a medical professional would be able to give you a precise answer. However, if you aren’t in the mood or the condition to go to a doctor yet, then let us introduce you to a number of factors that could contribute to hair oil.
Fine hair usually looks greasier. Fine hair has less surface area, meaning that there could be more oil produced than necessary.
Even if you have thick hair, you aren’t quite safe. If you have lots of hair, it means that you also have lots of those sebaceous glands. You guessed it, the oil production will also be increased, which could lead to greasiness.
Straight hair also may tend to be greasy: that’s because there are no curls or waves to contain the sebum near the roots. On the other hand, curly hair hinders the movement of the oil along the hair shaft, resulting in oily skin and roots but dry ends.
Hormone level fluctuations may also cause oily hair. Sudden hormone changes triggered by stress, pregnancy, puberty, medications, etc. could promote excess oil production.
Some hair conditions like psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis both have been associated with excess oil production. Besides greasiness, those conditions are also accompanied by dandruff or dry skin.
If you have relatives who have greasy hair, the chances are that the excessive sebum production will be an issue for you as well.
Playing with the hair
Playing with your hair may cause greasiness in two ways. Firstly, you may be transferring the oil secreted by your hands onto your hair. Besides, you may be redistributing the oil from your scalp along the length of your hair.
In fact, excessive brushing may have the same effect as playing with hair since it also redistributes the sebum.
Using too much hair products
Excessive use of any hair product could also cause greasiness. If you use too much product, it may build up on your scalp and hamper the functioning of the sebaceous glands. Alcohol-based products could be even worse: combined with the sebum, they could weigh the hair down and make it look oily.
Using the wrong hair products
If you use the wrong products like moisturizing shampoos or deep conditioners on normal or already oily hair, you could make your hair oilier than necessary.
Too much heat styling
Excess heat applied to the hair via blow dryers, curling wands, or straightening irons may dry out the hair. This would trigger an increased activity of the sebaceous glands, leading to oily hair.
Shampooing too often
Know how overly frequent shampooing may make your hair look greasy? This may sound counterintuitive, but you are not doing a great good to your hair by shampooing it every day. Frequent use of the shampoo may strip the oil away from the hair, forcing the glands to produce more sebum to compensate for it.
Washing hair with hot water
Hot water stimulates the production of sebum, so make sure to use lukewarm water to make sure that it doesn’t happen.
How to get rid of oily hair
In general, any kind of a shampoo will remove sebum from the hair. Imagine you are cleaning your dirty dishes: if you use only water, grease won’t come off of it. If you add a little soap, you will get rid of the grease.
It’s basically the same with hair: you get rid of oil every time you shampoo your hair. As a general rule, you should use shampoos with a translucent appearance. Creamy shampoos could promote the excess sebum production. Since sebaceous glands work especially hard at night, you should also shampoo your hair early in the day.
Regular shampoo doesn’t always work though. Fortunately, there is a wide range of oil-removing shampoos out there that may help you with getting rid of the excess oil from your hair. If you are reading this material, then such a product is exactly what you are looking for!
Needless to say, the very first advantage of an oily hair shampoo is that it helps with getting rid of the oily hair. That’s what they are designed for, after all.
Using a shampoo for oily hair makes your hair look good and natural. Unsurprisingly, since greasy hair never looks good and doesn’t shine as well as you may want.
And if you have got a shampoo with a nice fragrance, your hair will smell good too!
Shampoos for oily hair certainly are beneficial, but they could cause problems as well.
The very first thing that you may come across is excessive drying of your hair. This may happen if you use an oily hair shampoo more frequently than necessary. Neither greasiness nor dryness is good for your hair, so make sure you aren’t using too much shampoo for oily hair.
Besides, the ingredients contained in the shampoo may trigger allergies. If you have any, make sure to carefully read the ingredient list of the shampoo before using it.
How to apply
Applying a shampoo for oily hair is generally done in the same way as with a regular shampoo, so there are no special “rites” that you would need to perform. Still, if you happen not to know how to apply it properly, you may not achieve any results.
- Dampen your hair with warm water.
- For short to medium hair, squeeze out about half-inch-wide dollop from the shampoo bottle. For long hair, adjust the shampoo amount accordingly. Also, don’t forget to see whether or not your shampoo has some specific rules in this regard.
- Foam up the shampoo with a small amount of water.
- Distribute the shampoo through the hair. Don’t scratch your scalp with your fingernails.
- Rinse out the shampoo from your hair completely. Squeeze the hair with your hands when rinsing until your hair feels “squeaky.”
- Rinse your hair with cool water. This will stimulate blood circulation and make you feel exhilarated.
- To avoid hair damage, you also need to dry the hair properly. Instead of rubbing your towel into the head, press it onto your hair. It will thereby absorb water without damaging your hair.
- Carefully, without using any force, detangle your damp or still wet hair.
If you follow these tips, you should see positive results fairly soon. As for shampooing frequency, it will depend on the shampoo, so make sure to consult the instructions on the bottle.
The best shampoos for oily hair tested
Neutrogena Clean Volume Body Enhancing Shampoo 10.1oz
- Neutrogena Clean Volume Body Enhancing Shampoo 10.1oz (Quantity 1)
- Clean Volume Shampoo gently cleanses and adds body to flat, lifeless hair.
- gently cleanses and adds body to flat, lifeless hair. This body-enhancing formula provides volume without weighing down hair. Has a fresh, clean scent. Non-drying Clean rinsing.
- g formula provides volume without weighing down hair. Its thick, rich lather removes daily build-up and rinses clean. Leaves hair with healthy body, volume and shine.
- Quantity: ONE (1) full sized 10.1oz unit per order; Limited availability (discontinued item)
Neutrogena shampoo is formulated to bring life back to flat hair. This shampoo is more of an all-purpose shampoo rather than a specific oily hair shampoo, so it could also be a good choice if you want to take general care of your hair.
Aside from adding volume to the hair – which certainly is important – this shampoo also rinses the hair clean thanks to its rich lather. In the end, you could expect to achieve a healthy volume and shine after regular use of this shampoo and also reduced greasiness.
Keep in mind that this shampoo is pretty pricey, so it won’t be a suitable choice for those on a budget. You could expect it to be the best clarifying shampoo though!
Tru Moroccan Shampoo for Oily Hair 8oz
- Voted #1 Best Clarifying Shampoo. A gentle, natural Clarifying Shampoo ideal to combat oily, greasy hair, itchy scalp and dandruff. Safe for color treated hair and hair that has been weakened, damaged by color, chemical processing or heat styling.
- Cleanses the scalp, allowing for new hair growth. Natural Shampoo that removes excess sebum and buildup. Brings balance to sebaceous glands and controls flaky, oily scalp.
- A Dandruff Treatment with Natural Ingredients, Contains No Parabens, Pabas Or harmful chemicals. Contains natural oils and herbs to pamper your hair while cleansing. Cleans hair while maintaining moisture control.
- Your hair will LOVE this shampoo! Creates healthy hair and scalp. Made with Highest quality and premium ingredients.
- Fresh Citrus fragrance, no artificial color, no artificial additives, or impurities. Not tested on animals (Cruelty Free). No ingredients derived from animals. Made In The USA In Our Advanced FDA Certified Facility.
If you are looking for the best natural shampoo to treat your oily hair with, then Tru Moroccan might be the go-to. That’s because it contains natural oils and herbs to help you combat greasy hair, as well as itch and dandruff.
This shampoo is also formulated to be safe for color-treated, weakened, or damaged hair. Both men and women could really benefit from this shampoo.
Tru Morrocan shampoo has a fresh citrus fragrance. While this fragrance certainly could make your hair feel fresher, not everyone will like it.
Drybar On the Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo 8.5oz
- Drybar On the Rocks Clarifying Charcoal Shampoo
- Size: 8.5 Oz /250ml Full size
- Deep clean without stripping or drying out hair
- Helps strengthen and reinforce damaged hair
In case you have got an oily scalp and hair as a result of product buildup, Drybar On the Rocks clarifying shampoo may be the helper you need.
This shampoo contains activated charcoal to remove hair product buildup and impurities from the hair without damaging or drying them. It also contains vegetable protein that reinforces chemically treated and damaged hair.
However, because this shampoo contains protein, it should probably be used for treating mild grease: proteins could make excessively oily hair even oilier.
Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo 8.5oz
Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo is also a nice cleaning solution for oily hair. The manufacturer claims that this shampoo works well for infrequent hair washers and hair care product junkies by removing buildup and pollutants.
However, bear in mind that this product isn’t suitable for color-treated hair!
Fekkai Apple Cider Shampoo 8oz
- Infused with Apple Cider.
- Scented by fresh apple and pear.
- Silicone-free purifying cleanser clarifies and removes buildup.
- Overworked hair is deeply cleaned for a new beginning.
- Tip from the Fekkai Salon: Use as a 'Weekend Purifier' to help rid hair of the week's hair stress.
If you, by chance, wanted an apple cider-scented shampoo, then Fekkai shampoo could be the right pick for you. This silicone-free shampoo is formulated to clarify the hair and remove buildup from it.
Needless to say, this shampoo also works for oily hair, as testified by its user reviews. But again, this shampoo wouldn’t be suitable for you if you have colored hair.
Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo 16oz
- DEGREASE SHAMPOO FOR OILY HAIR AND SCALP alleviates grease & oil build up on skin. This lemon clarifying shampoo for dandruff restores pH balance & promotes healthy sebum levels for your scalp & hair.
- HERBAL MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO WITH ROSEMARY OIL EXTRACT AND CYPRESS is an alternative hair care solution that improves circulation in the scalp & minimizes pore size for hair loss, flakes & shedding.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE Our beauty and hair styling products come with a risk-free money back no questions asked refund policy. Oily hair shampoo is safe for sensitive skin and color treated hair.
- REGENERATING SHAMPOO WITH BOTANICAL KERATIN AND NO SULFATES is safe & effective for soft, smooth hair. Paraben free natural shampoo promotes thick luscious locks & is gentle on hair & sensitive skin.
- OUR BEST SHAMPOO FOR OILY SCALP AND DRY ENDS Purifying cell renewal treatment with peach kernel is rich in antioxidants and vitamins for voluminous and frizz free hair on a healthy, nourished scalp
Maple Holistics shampoo is a fairly remarkable one. Well, it comes with twice as much shampoo as most of the other shampoos reviewed. But that isn’t its biggest feat.
This shampoo is formulated to both degrease the oily scalp and hair and also fight off dandruff by promoting healthy sebum levels. Besides, it is meant to minimize the pore size to reduce hair loss, shedding, and flakes.
And lastly, this shampoo is appropriate for color-treated hair as well!
Briogeo’s Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado 16oz
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, DETANGLES AND NOURISHES HAIR: Briogeo's Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado + Quinoa Co-Wash for straight, curly or natural hair features a 4-in-1 formula that effectively cleanses, conditions, detangles, and nourishes hair. This ultra-hydrating cleanser gently yet effectively removes dirt, buildup and impurities without stripping hair of natural oils. It aids in the detangling process and leaves the hair feeling hydrated, soft, & silky.
- PACKED WITH POWERFUL NATURAL INGREDIENTS: This unique co-wash is fortified with nourishing avocado oil to enhance the manageability and healthiness of the hair. Quinoa extract forms a barrier to protect the hair from environmental impurities while bamboo extract enhances shine, improves resilience, and increases elasticity. Our co-wash is ideal for those with textured, thick, dry, and/or color-treated hair.
- ADDITIVE AND CRUELTY-FREE: Briogeo is proud to say that our Avocado + Quinoa Co-Wash is 98% naturally derived. Specially formulated, this nourishing co-wash does not include harsh sulfates (SLS/SLES), silicones, phthalates, parabens, DEA, or artificial dyes. It's certified gluten-free and cruelty-free so you can feel good about looking good!
- PERFECT FOR TREATED HAIR: The incredible ingredients in this ultra-hydrating cleanser make it the ideal product for nourishing and maintaining treated hair. Whether you routinely color your hair or use a keratin or chemical treatment, the unique blend of nutrients and oils will help keep your hair looking and feeling its best!
- ABOUT BRIOGEO: Beautiful hair shouldn't be compromised by harsh or harmful ingredients. Briogeo offers a high-performance hair care collection that is naturally based, yet performance driven to provide visible results. All Briogeo formulas live up to their performance claims - providing the vibrant, beautiful and healthy hair we constantly strive to achieve.
Briogeo Be Gentle, Be Kind Avocado 4-in-1 shampoo is also an interesting product. It is formulated to cleanse, condition, detangle, and nourish the hair, so you are pretty much getting a complex solution to deal with greasy hair.
This shampoo is fortified with natural avocado oil to increase the hair’s manageability, quinoa extract to protect the hair, and bamboo extract to attach shine and elasticity to the hair. Besides, this shampoo doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients and can be used on color-treated hair.
Christophe Robin Purifying Shampoo 8.4oz
- FOR: Greasy roots and dry ends WHEN: Every day TEXTURE: Light and airy texture Benefits: Regulates excess of sebum ; Permanently eliminates dandruff ; Calms itchiness ; Makes hair light and shiny
- Directions: Apply on wet hair, emulsify then rinse abundantly. Alternate with the cleansing purifying scrub with sea salt once a week. For sensitive lengths, use a conditioning care if needed.
- Regulates excess of sebum ; Permanently eliminates dandruff ; Calms itchiness ; Makes hair light and shiny.
Christophe Robin purifying shampoo is another solution dedicated to oily hair. It is formulated to bring back life into dry hair ends and also regulate the excess of sebum near the greasy roots.
In addition, this shampoo also eliminates dandruff, calms itchiness, and attaches lightness and shine to the hair. Since this shampoo appears not to be formulated to be used with color-treated hair, we consider it the best men’s shampoo on our list.
Kiehl Color-Treated Hair Preserving Shampoo 8.4oz
- Infused with sunflower oils, apricot, a fortifying blend of Vitamin B3, B5, and B6, and a UV-protective filter
- Conditions and moisturizes dry hair for long-lasting color in between salon visits
- Helps hair to retain its vibrancy with a smoother, more natural look and feel
- Paraben-Free, Silicone-Free, Sulfate-Free
- How to Apply : Apply shampoo to wet hair and massage uniformly with fingertips over entire scalp. Rinse. To ensure optimal color preserving rotection, we recommend following with Sunflower Color Preserving Conditioner.
Looking to protect your hair? Then have a look at Kiehl Color-Treated Hair Preserving Shampoo!
This shampoo contains a fortifying blend of a UV-protective filter and Vitamin B3, B5, and B6. It is also infused with sunflower oils and apricot for great cleansing performance. Besides, this shampoo has been specifically formulated for color-treated hair, so it could be the ideal choice for you if your hair is colored.
That’s it for the reviews of best shampoos for oily hair! Did you like any of the shampoos we examined? We sure picked a favorite, which is Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo. We liked its versatility, as well as the amount of the product it delivers for the price. If you did find an appropriate shampoo too, then maybe you should go and get it!